The History Of Prabalgad Fort!!!

Share This:

Prabalgad Fort is situated between Matheran and Panvel in Maharashtra at a height of 2,300 feet in the Western Ghats. It is believed that the fort was built during the time of Buddha or in or around 500 BC for a queen named ‘Kalavantin‘. Hence it is also known as ‘Kalavantin Durg‘.The Fort is built of Granite Stones from the same hills and has thick and strong walls. There is a temple of Lord Ganesha and it has a watchtower on its top.The prime minister of the kingdom of Ahmednagar, Malik Ahmad, took over the fort in 1458. After the fall of the Ahmadnagar Sultanate, the Mughals conquered the fort along with the other forts.In 1657 AD the Maratha king Shivaji Maharaj took over this fort after a battle with the Mughals. The Fort was governed by Kesar Singh at the time of the battle. On seeing the signs of defeat in the battle the women of the Fort performed Jauhar (A tradition of self-immolation to ensure honorable and respectful death). Kesar Singh died in the battle and Shivaji in an act of kindness allowed Kesar Singh’s mother and her grandchild a safe passage out.After the decline of the Maratha Kingdom, Umaji Naik Khomane, who protested against the British occupied this palace and started residing here as a hideout place from 1826 AD to 1832 AD.Prabalgad Fort has a sister fort named ‘Irshalgad Fort‘ which is situated in the vicinity of the main fort and is comparatively smaller in area. From the top of the Fort, one can see Peb, Chanderi, Karnala and Irshalgad Forts and the City of Mumbai is also visible.
naadle If you like this article, click on the button below